Saturday, June 20, 2009

Our first trip to the ER

I knew this day would come, but I could have held out for it forever. Mathew has been pretty lucky so far--we've had a lot of near misses with him running around wildly. I had to call poison control, once, but fortunately everything he's ingested has been harmless.

Mathew and Emma were in the garage with Jon (over a week ago now) when Mat grabbed one of Jon's tools--a big framing level--and dropped it on his foot. He had his crocs on, but that tool is heavy enough that it smashed his little toe really bad. So, I took him to the ER. I love the way Mathew tells the story. He says "I dropped a yeyow yever on my foot so Mommy took me to a nicer hospital."
His toe was broken and needed one little stitch. He did well in the hospital though, he got to watch cartoons and play with stickers, he didn't even want to leave. We've since gotten the stitch removed and the doctor said he was very brave. Mathew didn't cry when they were taking it out, he just kept saying "thanks" to the doctor.

Emma wanted to match Mathew, or at least get the same attention.



2 comments:

The Gray Family said...

it is just so sad when you have to take your baby to the ER! Carson had to get stitches a couple months ago and it is harder on the mom than the kid I think :>) Matthew looks like he is a trooper though!

melissa gargalis said...

somehow I missed this post?...so sorry you had your first ER trip. They are not fun. I am so scared to know that there will be more to come. Mathew looks so big/old in those pictures.