Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Helpers

Okay, so I'm not usually into doing posts with a lot of words, it's too much reading for one blog. But, in case you might be wondering how we are managing with three small children, I thought I would share how it goes.

Mathew is really trying to carry his own weight around here. While I was feeding Michael, Mathew decided to help clean the house. He dumped half the bottle of bath bubbles on the bathroom floor and was scrubbing it with a cleaning brush. Emma tried to join him but she kept slipping on the bath bubbles.

After that he and Emma both needed a bath. Once we got enough soap off of them, I told Mathew that he needed to clean up, so he drained the bathtub, picked up all the toys and got himself out of the tub. I went to put Emma down for a nap and when I came back into the bathroom, I found Mathew on the toilet. He's been working on potty training himself for a couple of months.

I was feeding Michael again when Emma woke up from her nap. I asked Mathew to go in her room and play with her. After a while he came out and grabbed a baby wipe. Mathew was talking about changing her diaper, but I thought, there's no way he's actually changing her diaper. He would half to climb into her crib with her, and she was wearing shorts and a onesie--I don't think she would let him do it. I just had to go and make sure. Sure enough, there was Emma, laying calmly in her crib with her diaper off, waiting for the clean one to be put on. Then Mathew proceeded to change his own diaper. Later, Mathew even changed Michael's diaper, too.

When they're hungry, they take care of it on their own. Mathew climbs in the pantry up to the top shelf where we keep all of the chocolate and candy. Emma is usually with him, but she doesn't climb the shelves. She lets Mathew do all the work so he gets in trouble while she gets all the benefits.


That was one of the crazier days.

8 comments:

Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan & Lani Fenn said...

Carly that is hilarious! We are so excited to see you!

Stuck on U said...

hey that sounds alot like my days too, but none of my kids ever tried to attempt diaper changes. how funny, well at least you have help from one man in the fam. lol :). miss you and can't wait to see you and the kiddos.

Kaylene said...

Sometimes you just don't need the "help"! Sound like your life is as crazy as ours!

Heather said...

So funny! So nice for them to be so self sufficient! Awesome!

melissa gargalis said...

I love the helping stage...So have you pulled out your hair yet, or is it just going grayer by the minute?...mine totally would be. That's so sweet though that Matthew is trying to "help". Hang in there lady, just be glad your baby isn't crawling and eating everything off the ground yet.

The Gray Family said...

impressive! As long as he doesn't try to change the poopy diapers...

Ambrea said...

that was hilar! gotta love the fact that Mathew is trying! Kudos to him! That is so cute!